PRESENÇA DE MOLLICUTES E MYCOPLASMA BOVIS EM SWABS NASAIS DE BEZERROS E NO LEITE DE VACAS COM MASTITE CLÍNICA
Mycoplasma bovis is part of the bovine respiratory tract microbiota but is considered an opportunistic pathogen of extreme importance in respiratory diseases of calves. It causes to the herd several diseases such as mastitis, polyarthritis, pneumonia and endometritis. This pathogen is highly contagious and animals with mastitis are potential disseminators of infection to the herd since they release from 106 to 108 CFU per mL milk. Similarly, animals with pneumonia eliminate, through respiratory secretions, high microbial loads of the agent. The present study aimed to perform molecular detection of Mycoplasma bovis in 185 milk samples from cows with clinical mastitis, as well as in 50 nasal swab samples from healthy calves with or without signs of pneumonia and born from cows with mastitis, all belonging to four dairy farms in Paraná State, where cases of mastitis had beendiagnosed. DNA extraction from both secretions was carried out according to the thermolysis method. For polymerase chain reaction (PCR), generic primers were employed to amplify the Mollicutes DNA and positive samples were subjected to PCR with primersspecific for M. bovis. Positivity for M. bovis was 3.78% in milk samples, regardless of the farm, and 20% in nasal swabs.
2. Hartel H, Nikunen S, Neuvonen E, Taskanen R, Kivela SL, Aho R, Soveri T, Saloniemi H. Viral and bacterial pathogens in bovine respiratory disease in finland. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica. 2004;45(3-4):193-200.
3. Gourlay RN, Leach RH. A new Mycoplasma species isolated from pneumonic lungs of calves (Mycoplasma dispar sp. nov.). Journal of Medical Microbiology. 1970;3(1):111-123.
4. Terlaak EA, Noordergraaf JH, Boomsluitter E. The nasal Mycoplasmal flora of heathy calves and cows. Journal of Veterinary Medicine. 1992;39:610-616.
5. Maunsell FP, Donovan GA. Mycoplasma bovis infections in young calves. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice. 2009;25(1):139-177.
6. Gabinaitiene A, Siugzdaite J, Zilinskas H, Siugzda RP, Petkevicius S. Mycoplasma bovis and bacterial pathogens in the bovine respiratory tract. Veterinary Medicine, 2011;56:28-34.
7. Nicholas RAJ, Ayling RD. Mycoplasma bovis: disease, diagnosis and control. Research in Veterinary Science. 2003;74(2):105-112.
8. Junqueira NB, Langoni H. Aspectos gerais sobre a mastite bovina causada por Mycoplasma spp. Veterinária e Zootecnia. 2016;23(3)356-364.
9. Timenetsky J, Molicutes e micoplasmas não hemotrópicos em animais. In: Megid J, Ribeiro MG, Paes AC. Doenças infecciosas em animais de produção e de companhia. 1a ed. Rio de Janeiro: Roca, 2016. p.1079-1084.
10. Bennett RH, Jasper DE. Nasal prevalence of Mycoplasma bovis and IHA titers in young dairy animals. The Cornell Veterinarian. 1977;67(3):361-373.
11. Arcangioli MA, Duet A, Meyer G, Dernburg A, Bezille P, Poumarat F. The role of Mycoplasma bovis in bovine respiratory disease outbreaks in veal calf feedlots. Veterinary Journal. 2008;77:89-93.
12. Nicholas RAJ. Recent developments in the diagnosis and control of Mycoplasma infections in cattle. Medecin Veterinaire du Quebec. 2004;34:21- 22.
13. Hotchkiss EJ, Dagleish MP, Willoughby K. Prevalence of Pasteurella multocida and other respiratory pathogens in the nasal tract of scottish calves. Veterinary Record. 2010;167:555-560.
14. Nikunen S, Hartel H, Orro T, Neuvonen E, Tanskanen R, Kivela SL, Sankari S, Aho P, Pyorala S, Saloniemi H, Soveri T. Association of bovine respiratory disease with clinical status and acute phase proteins in calves. Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2007;30(3):143-151.
15. Fulton RW, Blood KS, Panciera RJ, Payton ME, Ridpath JF, Confer AW, Saliki JT, Burge LT, Welsh RD, Johnson BJ, Reck A. Lung pathology and infectious agents in fatal feedlot pneumonias and relationship with mortality, disease onset and treatments. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 2009;21(4):464-477.
16. White BJ, Hanzlicek G, Sanderson MW, Anderson DE, Larson RL. Mollicutes species and Mycoplasma bovis prevalence and association with health outcomes in beef feeder calves at arrival and initial treatment for bovine respiratory disease. Canadian Veterinary Journal. 2010;51(9):1016-1018.
17. Ghonein HA, Hassan NI, Elhalawany HA, Nabib AM. Mixed infections of bovine viral diarrhea virus, Mycoplasma species and Mannheimia haemolytica in calves showed chronic pneumonia with reference to the histopathological findings of the affected lungs. Journal of American Science. 2010;6(11):538-555.
18. Mettifogo E, Nascimento ER, Müller EE, Nascimento MGF, Freitas JC. Mastite bovina por Mycoplasma bovis. Revista Brasileira de Medicina Veterinaria.1996;18(1):22-25.
19. Pretto LG, Muller EE, Freitas JC, Mettifogo E, Buzihani M, Yamaguti M, Salvador R. Mastite bovina por Mycoplasma bovis em rebanhos leiteiros. Pesquisa Veterinaria Brasileira. 2001;21(4):143-145.
20. Radaelli E, Luini M, Loria GR, Nicholas RAJ, Scanziani E. Bacteriological, serological, pathological and immunohistochemical studies of Mycoplasma bovis respiratory infection in veal calves and adult cattle at slaughter. Research in Veterinary Science. 2008;85(2):282-90.
21. Dyer N, Hansen-Lardy L, Krogh D, Schaan L, Schamber E. An outbreak of chronic pneumonia and polyarthritis syndrome caused by Mycoplasma bovis in feedlot bison (Bison bison). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 2008;20(3):369-371.
22. Maunsell FP, Woolums AR, Francoz D, Rosenbusch RF, Step DL, Wilson DJ, Janzen ED. Mycoplasma bovis infections in cattle. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2011;25(4):772–783.
23. Buzinhani M, Metiffogo E, Timenetsky J. Detecção de Mycoplasma spp. e Ureaplasma diversum em vacas com distúrbios reprodutivos. Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia. 2007;59:1368-1375.
24. Sung H, Kang SH, Bae YJ, Hong JT, Chung YB, Lee CK, Song S. PCR-based detection of Mycoplasma species. Journal of Microbiology Korea. 2006;44(1):42-49.
25. Wiggins MC, Woolums AR, Sanchez S, Hurley DJ, Cole DJ, Ensley DT, Pence ME. Prevalence of Mycoplasma bovis in backgrounding and stocker cattle operations. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2007;230(10):1514-1518.
26. Fan HH, Kleven SH, Jackwood MW. Application of polymerase chain reaction with arbitrary to strain identification of Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Avian Diseases. 1995;39(4):729-735.
27. Van Kuppeveld FJM, van der Logt JTM, Angulo AF, van Zoest MJ, Quint WG, Niesters HG, Galama JM, Melchers WJ. Genus and species-specific identification of Mycoplasmas by 16S rRNA amplification. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 1992;58(8):2606-2615.
28. González YRC, Bascuñana CR, Bölske G, Mattsson JG, Molina CF, Johansson KE. In vitro amplification of the 16S rRNA genes from Mycoplasma bovis and Mycoplasma agalactiae by PCR. Veterinary Microbiology. 1995;47(1/2):183-190.
29. Jasper D. Bovine mastitis due to Mycoplasma. Revue Scientifique Et Technique De L Office International Des Epizooties. 1987;6(3):801-807.
30. Baird SC, Carman J, Dinsmore PR, Walker RL, Collins JK. Detection and identification of Mycoplasma from bovine mastitis infections using a nested polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 1999;11(5):432-435.
31. Cardoso MV, Blanchard A, Ferris S, Verlengia R, Timenetsky J, Florio da Cunha RA. Detection of Ureaplasma diversum in cattle using a newly developed PCR-based detection assay. Veterinary Microbiology. 2000;72(3-4):241-250.
32. González RN, Wilson DJ. Mycoplasmal mastitis in dairy herds. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice. 2003;19:199-221.
33. Jackson G, Boughton EA. A mild outbreak of bovine mastitis associated with Mycoplasma bovigenitalium. Veterinary Record. 1991;16:444-446.
34. Poumarat F, Le Grand D, Philippe S, Calavas D. Efficacy of spectinomycin against Mycoplasma bovis induced pneumonia in conventionally reared calves. Veterinary Microbiology. 2001;80(1):23-35.
35. Gagea MI, Bateman KG, Shanahan RA, Van Dreumel T, Mcewen BJ, Carman S, Archambault M, Caswell JL. Naturally occurring Mycoplasma bovis—associated pneumonia and polyarthritis in feedlot beef calves. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 2006;18(1):29-40.
Este obra está licenciado com uma Licença Creative Commons Atribuição-NãoComercial 4.0 Internacional.